Dark Mode
Saturday, 21 February 2026
Logo
AdSense Advertisement
Advertisement
Suicide attack targets security convoy in northwest Pakistan, 2 soldiers including officer lost their lives

Suicide attack targets security convoy in northwest Pakistan, 2 soldiers including officer lost their lives

By The South Asia Times

 

PESHAWAR, Pakistan - A suicide bombing targeted a security forces convoy in northwestern Pakistan, martyred a senior army officer and a soldier during an intelligence-based operation in Bannu district of northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, the military’s media wing said on Saturday.

 

In a statement, the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said the convoy was attacked while conducting an operation against militants it described as “Fitna al Khwarij,” a term the Pakistani military uses for the terrorist group, Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP).

 

According to the statement, security forces intercepted a vehicle-borne suicide bomber in the lead-up to the convoy, preventing what the military said was a planned attack on civilians and law enforcement personnel in Bannu city. During the ensuing exchange of fire, five terrorists were killed.

 

However, the ISPR said another attacker rammed an explosives-laden vehicle into one of the convoy’s vehicles.

 

Lieutenant Colonel Shahzada Gul Faraz, 43, a resident of Mansehra district who was commanding the operation, was killed in the blast along with Sepoy Karamat Shah, 28, from Peshawar district.

The military described the officer as a “brave commanding officer” who was leading his troops from the front.

 

The statement said militants operating from Afghan territory and criticized the authorities in Kabul for failing to prevent cross-border attacks.

The Taliban administration in Afghanistan has previously denied allowing its soil to be used for attacks against Pakistan.

 

Pakistan has witnessed a surge in militant violence in its northwestern regions in recent years, particularly in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, where Bannu is located.

 

The military said counterterrorism operations under its campaign “Azm-e-Istehkam,” approved by the federal apex committee under the National Action Plan, would continue “at full pace” to eliminate what it described as foreign-sponsored terrorism.

 

There was no immediate claim of responsibility from the militant group at the time of the statement

AdSense Advertisement
Advertisement
AdSense Advertisement
Advertisement

Comment / Reply From

AdSense Advertisement
Advertisement